of the Chair
of Commercial Fisheries
Branch Centre of New Information Technologies of the Kaliningrad State Technical University of the Russian Federation Fisheries
1. Framework and Status
The Laboratory of the Computer Aided Design of Fishing Technique of the Kaliningrad State Technical University of the
Russian Federation Fisheries Committee was created at the Chair of Commercial Fisheries in 1991.
In 1992 the Laboratory was included into the framework of the Higher Education Committee as a Branch Centre of New
Information Technologies of the Kaliningrad State Technical University.
2. Main Directions of Activities
- Training of students;
- Creation and support of software for training;
- Research and design works for customers;
- Research works aimed at creation of the automatic system of fishing technique design;
- Provision of operation of the global information networks FidoNet and Relcom (Russian Branch of InterNet).
3.1. CAD Laboratory provides training (practical classes, preparation of term papers and diploma thesis) for the students of
course "Commercial Fisheries" in the main subjects ("Theory and Design of Fishing Gear", "Mechanisation and
Automation of Fishing", "Construction and Operation of Fishing Gear", etc.). Students are trained to use in studies
and in practical work the following programme packages:
- for general engineering application: MathCAD, Word, "Inventing Machine", etc.;
- simulators of trawl fishing, purse-seining, and hydro-acoustic equipment operation;
- specialised software, created in the Laboratory.
3.2. CAD Laboratory creates and supports software for training classes. It produces printed matter, prepared by the staff of
the Commercial Fisheries Chair (summaries of the lecture courses, methodical guides, curricula and syllabi).
3.3. CAD Laboratory fulfils orders for research and design works on the agreements with companies, including:
- creation of new methods of fishing technique design;
- creation of new programme packages for fishing gear design and improvement of its operation;
- creation of integrated programme systems;
3.4. CAD Laboratory conducts research and scientific work aimed at creation of the system of automatic design of fishing
technique. In particular, it plans to create software for automation of design of the main types of oceanic fishing gear (trawls,
purse-seines, drift nets, long-lines).
4. Programme Packages Created in the CAD Laboratory
The staff of the CAD Laboratory and the Commercial Fisheries Chair have created and implemented the following packages:
- substantiation and optimisation of trawls design parameters;
- substantiation of a mesh size in the front cable part of a trawl;
- balancing of the otter boards;
- system design of a trawl otter board and identification of its mass and overall dimensions;
- Data Base of the trawl otter boards parameters;
- selection of the optimum fishing scheme for a fishing vessel;
- Data Base of fishing schemes and deck machinery parameters of a fishing vessel;
- calculation of the parameters of closed cycle aquaculture systems;
- Data Base of foreign companies, manufacturing fishing gear, rigging, equipment for fisheries;
The CAD Laboratory is working on creation of the programme packages to form the basis for the creation of automatic
design of the main types of fishing gear: trawls, purse-seines, drift nets and long lines.
For each type of gear a programme package will be created, including all the procedures and operations of fishing gear
- substantiation and optimisation of designed parameters of fishing gear;
- calculation of geometrical parameters of the net part of fishing gear;
- calculation of rigging parameters;
- calculation of cable elements parameters;
- calculation of the shape and loading of a gear in the process of fishing.